Practical information

The currency used in Estonia is the euro. Depending on the lifestyle the costs of living in Tallinn might be:
ca. 200–350 EUR for accommodation 
ca. 180–300 EUR for food
ca. 120–250 EUR for other costs

TTK UAS does not have a dormitory. See our tips for finding accommodation here.

Long-stay (D) visa for study in Estonia is required for Non-EU students if you are going to stay in Estonia for more than three months.

Requirements for the D-visa can be found here.
Estonian embassies in the world:

EU and EEA residents
don’t need a residence permit for studying, but you need to register your place of living if your stay exceeds three months. The steps are as follows:
1. Register your place of residence the Population Register.
Closest offices to TTK are:
• Tallinn City Office located at Vabaduse väljak 7
• City Centre Administration located at Pärnu mnt 9
Information about office hours and location of other offices can be found here.
2. After you have registered your place of residence, you can apply to apply for the Estonian ID card. ID cards are issued by the Police and Border Guard Board (offices located at P. Pinna 4 or A. H. Tammsaare tee 47). We receommend booking an appointment beforehand online.
3. We strongly recommend registering also at the Embassy of your country.Information on the foreign representations in Estonia can be found here.

Students from outside the European Union need to apply for a D-visa. If you have D-visa for your stay in Estonia, you cannot register as the citizens of Tallinn nor get the Estonian ID-cardas you are considered a visitor not a resident.

Students from within the EU countries are stronly advised to have an European Health Insurance Card. However, we suggest to buy health insurance for the time of your stay in Estonia as the European Health Insurance Card only covers emergency cases. 

Students from outside the EU are not covered by Estonian health insurance. An international student from outside the EU must have an insurance contract guaranteeing that any costs related to his or her medical treatment as a result of illness or injury during the period of validity of the residence permit applied for will be met within the extent equal to the persons covered with health insurance.

The most common way to use the public transport in Tallinn is by purchasing a Smartcard in R-Kiosk stands. The cost is €2.

The residents of Tallinn use the public transport in Tallinn free of charge. For that, you need to have the Smartcard personalized with your identity code on your ID-card. A personalized Smartcard enables the holder to obtain discounts. Personalized cards are only valid with proof of identity. You can also personalize your card, load money onto it and buy tickets and travel cards at the sales point you purchase it from. Please don’t forget to ask for personalization when purchasing your Smartcard in point of sales.

Students from outside the European Union travelling with D-visa, who cannot register as residents of Tallinn, have to pay for the use of public transport. Information about public transport and tickets is available here.

You can also use contactless bank cards to buy public transportation tickets. More information here.
Due to coronavirus, tickets cannot be purchased from the driver.

Useful links:
Public transport schedules
Journey planner

In the case of emergency, dial 112 and ask for an ambulance, the police or the fire brigade. Tell the operator your name, address and the telephone number you are calling from, and stay by the telephone until your information has been confirmed. There is no charge when you dial 112.

The 24/7 emergency rooms (EMO in Estonian) are located at:

Free medical counselling is available through the family physician’s advisory line (perearsti nõuandeliin) by calling 1220. English advice is available every day from 3 to 5 PM. Estonian and Russian advice is available 24/7.

With minor health concerns, we suggest that you start by searching assistance from a pharmacy (apteek in Estonian). You can find them almost in the every bigger shopping centre.

We recommend you to find a family physician (perearst) when you arrive to Estonia. Everyone has the right to choose or change their family physician. However, only a few family doctors attend in English. English speaking doctors are easier to find in private medical centres like Valvekliinik, Fertilitas, Qvalitas, Sinu Arst, Confido. When you have contracted health insurance, the costs should be remunerated. EU health card usually does not cover private medical care.

Dentistry is not covered by the health insurance in Estonia, all services have to be paid for. Emergency dental care is provided by Tallinn Dental Clinic (Located at Toompuiestee 4. Customer Service number +372 612 1200. Opening hours: Mo-Fr 8:00-20:00; First aid: Saturdays 9:00-16:00, Sundays 9:00-15:00).

We suggest you ask your student buddy to assist you with making a doctor’s appointment.

The Estonian Health Board has established 24/7 COVID-19 hotline number 1247 that offers information and help regarding the coronavirus in Estonia. You can also dowload the HOIA app.

You can see an overview about the Estonian health care system here.

The main supermarket chains are: Selver, Rimi, Maxima, Comarket
The biggest markets are: Central Market (Keskturg), Balti Jaama Turg, Nõmme Turg

TTK UAS has its own Sports Centre. It is possible for students to take physical education courses, use the gym or play different ball games.
The main sports clubs in Tallinn are MyFitness, Reval SportSparta Spordiklubi

It is possible to buy an International Student Identification Card (ISIC) that gives various price discounts and is your international student ID.
It is also possible to buy ESN Card, which gives discounts at Erasmus Student Network events. For more information please visit ESN web page.

You can find information about what to do and what to visit in Estonia on Visit Estonia website.

For train tickets within Estonia, check the website of Elron.
The main train station called Balti Jaam is located at Toompuiestee 37.

For bus tickets within Estonia, check T-pilet.
Tallinn Bus Station is located at Lastekodu 46.

Here are some useful websites about studying and living in Estonia:
1. Study in Estonia 
2. Work in Estonia
3. Life & culture in Estonia
4. Erasmus Student Network Tallinn

  • Jaga: