Guide for Exchange Students - Tallinna Tehnikakõrgkool
Close this search box.

Guide for Exchange Students

Guide for Exchange Students


TTK UAS does not have a student dormitory in Tallinn. Below you can find some useful information to find accommodation during your stay in Tallinn.*


  • Remember that renting accommodation is a legal process. We recommend doing online background checks on accommodation providers and putting all agreements in written form.
  • See the place before signing a contract. Avoid giving personal data and sending out money before you have made sure everything is correct. Make sure you understand everything before signing the contract. You can request a contract in English.
  • Make sure if the utilities (electricity, heating, etc.) are included in the rental price or not. In most cases, they are paid apart. You can ask to see the utility bills for the summer and winter seasons before agreeing to rent. Utility costs may vary considerably, so make sure you have an approximate idea of how much they are going to be. Costs are usually considerably higher in the wintertime due to heating.
  • When signing the contract, check the apartment’s condition (systems, equipment, etc.) and document any defects.
  • Ask for a receipt of payments or pay by bank transfers.
  • When renting with the help of a rental agency, be aware that for the first month the total amount could be triple the actual rate as the first payment includes besides the month’s rent in advance also the security deposit and the broker’s fee. Generally, deposits are paid back after the last monthly payment if there has been no damage caused to the property.


University dormitories
Academic Hostel
Muusa Majutus

Private dormitories
Haga Home
Larsen Apartments
Hessnery Residence
Tatari University Residence

To secure accommodation in a dormitory, please book as early as possible. Dormitories usually offer an option to add yourself to the waiting list if there are not any rooms available at the beginning of the semester. If spots open up during the semester, they will inform you. Dormitories are generally less expensive than other accommodation options.

Private Housing

There are also several options for finding a private room or a flat. Prices vary depending on accommodation type and location.

Erasmus in Tallinn/Accommodation group in Facebook

Real Estate portals
City24 – real estate portal – real estate portal


Please inquire beforehand by e-mail if the hostel offers a long-term stay and what prices are offered. We have enlisted some hostels in Tallinn below:

Feel Good Hostel
16 eur hostels
Euphoria Hostel
Tallinn Old Town Hostels

Please check the hostel reviews online. Some hostels offer discounts for members of ESN.

Other useful information

ESN Tallinn has compiled a list of recommendations for finding accommodation in Tallinn.

The Estonian Association of Real Estate Companies has a list of trusted estate agencies where you can find more agencies and brokers.

*The links are provided for informational purposes. TTK UAS has no affiliation with the contacts listed.

Living Costs

The currency used in Estonia is the euro. The monthly average living cost for students can be around 300-600 euros depending on your lifestyle. Please check for more detailed information on living costs in Tallinn on Study in Estonia website.

Registering as a Resident and Visa application

EU/EEA residents 

EU/EEA residents don’t need a residence permit to study, but you need to register your place of living if your stay exceeds three months. The steps are as follows:
1. Register your place of residence in person at the Population Register.
The closest office to TTK UAS is Tallinn City Office located at Vabaduse väljak 7.
2. After you have registered your place of residence, you can apply to apply for an Estonian ID card. ID cards are issued by the Police and Border Guard Board (offices located at Pinna 4 or Tammsaare tee 47). We recommend booking an appointment beforehand online.
You can also use the Self-Service Portal to apply for documents.
3. We strongly recommend registering also at the Embassy of your country. Information on foreign representations in Estonia can be found here.

Non-EU/EEA residents

Students from outside the EU/EEA whose period of stay in Estonia is under 12 months need to apply for a D-visa at the Estonian embassy before coming to Estonia. Requirements for the D-visa can be found here.

The list of Estonian embassies handling visa applications can be found here.

If you are a non-EU student, who does not need a visa to enter Estonia, you can apply for a long-term D-visa also in Estonia (booking an appointment beforehand online is recommended). However, we strongly advise obtaining a visa before arrival in Estonia even if you can enter Estonia without a visa.

Unfortunately, the holders of D-visa are not eligible to apply for a Temporary Residence Permit. This means that you will not receive an Estonian ID card and you cannot register as a resident of Tallinn.

Banking Services

Opening a bank account is free of charge for EU residents who have registered themselves as residents in Estonia.

For non-residents who hold a D-visa, opening a bank account can cost around 200 euros. For money transfers, please see if alternative services like and can be suitable for you*.

TTK UAS does not endorse any of these providers over the other and cannot advise you on this matter any further. Please research the services yourselves.

Health Insurance and Medical Services

All students are strongly advised to have health insurance to cover the period of their studies in Estonia. We recommend finding a family doctor (perearst) when you arrive in Estonia. Unless in the case of paid services, specialized medicine can mostly be accessed with a referral from your family doctor.

Health Insurance

Students from EU/EEA countries who have valid health insurance in your home country during your studies in Estonia, then you should apply for the EU Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or a substitute certificate of an EU health insurance card (form E128). You should apply for that from the social service authorities in your home country before arriving in Estonia.

However, necessary health care is not always free of charge – the patient’s co-payment should be paid according to Estonian tariffs. Therefore, it is recommended to also buy travel and health insurance from a private insurance company before coming to Estonia.

Note that EHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance. It does not cover any private healthcare or costs such as a return flight to your home country or lost/stolen property. More information about what is covered by EHIC can be found from the EHIC website. To be eligible for EHIC, you must be insured by or covered by a state social security system in any member state of the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland.

Students from outside the EU/EEA are not covered by Estonian health insurance. An international student from outside the EU/EEA must have an insurance contract valid for Estonia or Schengen area guaranteeing that any costs related to his or her medical treatment as a result of illness or injury during the period of D-visa period.

Students can choose insurance offered by their home university or any insurance company in their home country that offers suitable coverage. Whichever insurance you have, be prepared to cover your medical costs yourself first. If you have to pay for medical services, keep all the cost documents and apply for refund from your insurance provider according to the provider’s procedures. If the costs are eligible under your insurance policy, the provider will make the refund.

Some companies that offer private health insurance are:
KindlustusEst – insurance broker who can help with finding suitable insurance.
Ergo – private insurance company
Inges – private insurance company
Swisscare – company offers possibility to sign contract online

Medical Emergencies and Services

In the case of emergency, dial 112 and ask for an ambulance, the police or the fire brigade. Tell the operator your name, address and the telephone number you are calling from, and stay by the telephone until your information has been confirmed. There is no charge when you dial 112.

The 24/7 emergency rooms (EMO in Estonian) are located at:

Free medical counselling is available through the family physician’s advisory line (perearsti nõuandeliin) by calling 1220. English advice is available every day from 3 to 5 PM. Estonian and Russian advice is available 24/7.

With minor health concerns, we suggest that you start by searching for assistance from a pharmacy (apteek in Estonian). You can find them almost in every bigger shopping centre.

We recommend you find a family doctor (perearst) when you arrive in Estonia. For that, you need a valid residence permit in Estonia. The guide on how to find a family doctor in Estonia given on the Study in Estonia webpage might be of help. There is no requirement for family doctors in Estonia to speak English, so finding an English-speaking doctor might take some time and effort. You can check this list of family doctors serving international patients.

English speaking doctors are easier to find in private medical centres like ConfidoFertilitasQvalitasSinu Arst. If you have contracted private medical insurance, the costs should be remunerated. EHIC does not usually cover private medical care.

Specialized medicine (with the exception of psychiatrists, gynecologists, dermatologists, dentists, or ophthalmologists) can be accessed only with a referral from your family doctor. Once you have your referral, you can make an appointment with a specialist to take a closer look at your concerns.

Dentistry is not covered by health insurance in Estonia, all services have to be paid for. Emergency dental care is provided by Tallinn Dental Clinic (Located at Toompuiestee 4. Customer Service number +372 612 1200. Opening hours: Mo-Fr 8:00-20:00; First aid: Saturdays 9:00-16:00, Sundays 9:00-15:00).

We suggest you ask your student buddy to assist you with making a doctor’s appointment.

The Estonian Health Board has established 24/7 COVID-19 hotline number 1247 which offers information and help regarding the coronavirus in Estonia.

Coronavirus testing information is available here.

Public Transport

Getting Around in Tallinn

The most common way to use public transport in Tallinn is by purchasing a Smartcard in R-Kiosk stands. The cost is €2.

The residents of Tallinn use public transport in Tallinn free of charge. For that, you have to have the Smartcard personalized with your identity code on your ID card. A personalized Smartcard enables the holder to obtain discounts. Personalized cards are only valid with proof of identity. You can also personalize your card, load money onto it, and buy tickets and travel cards at the sales point you purchase it from. Please don’t forget to ask for personalization when purchasing your Smartcard in a sales point.

Students from outside the European Union travelling with D-visa, who cannot register as residents of Tallinn, have to pay for the use of public transport.

Information about public transport and tickets is available here.

Drivers do not sell tickets for public transport. You can either buy an individual hourly QR ticket beforehand (1 hour 2 €) online at or purchase a ticket from the validator located next to the front door of the vehicle with a contactless bank card.

E-tickets must be validated immediately every time you enter a vehicle by holding your Smartcard against the validator. Validators operate using audio signals, light indicators, and a screen. The colours on the screen indicate the following:
Green – your ticket has been activated or your travel card or discount is valid
Red – You do not have the right to travel and you do not have sufficient funds on your card to purchase a ticket

Useful links:
• Public transport schedules
• Journey planner

You can also use scooters to ride around through various mobile apps like Bolt or Tuul.
Before finishing your ride, make sure that you have parked the e-scooter within the provider’s service zone or you risk a fine. E-scooters are not available all year round. Depending on the weather conditions, rental companies usually pause their services from late autumn through winter.

Travelling in Estonia

You can find information about what to do and what to visit in Estonia on Visit Estonia website.

For train tickets within Estonia, check the website of Elron.
The main train station called Balti Jaam is located at Toompuiestee 37.

For bus tickets within Estonia, check T-pilet.
Tallinn Bus Station is located at Lastekodu 46.

ISIC and ESN Cards

It is possible to buy an International Student Identification Card (ISIC) that gives various price discounts and is your international student ID.
It is also possible to buy ESN Card, which gives discounts at Erasmus Student Network events. For more information please visit ESN web page. You can access all ESN information channels here.

Everyday Matters

Food and Markets

The main supermarket chains are SelverRimiMaximaPrismaCoop
All the bigger supermarkets offer home delivery through their website.

Bolt, Wolt, Fudy and ResQ apps offer home delivery from restaurants and from grocery stores.

The biggest markets are: Keskturg (Central Market)Balti Jaama TurgNõmme Turg

Sports Activities

TTK UAS has its own Sports Centre that is free of charge to all TTK UAS’ exchange students.
It is possible for students to participate in training sessions, use the gym or play different ball games.
Some of the main sports clubs in Tallinn are MyFitnessReval SportSparta Spordiklubi

Ava vestluse aken
Tuled meile? Uuri siit :)
Scan the code
Tallinna Tehnikakõrgkooli vastuvõtt
Hei! Kas saan aidata?